Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A quiz, another book

I have stayed away from most quizzes for a while now primarily due to demands on my time on weekends.
However due to the attractive prize-money at the ASHA quiz (about a week ago), I decided to participate, the entry fee (high by my current income standards, but below par for a normal corporate quiz) notwithstanding.
I also managed to get a legendary team-mate. However despite his best efforts, we came 5th in a final of 6 teams, which was a bit disappointing since we were 2nd in the prelims. Wish I were better and able to match my team-mate at least :(
Anyways I got a coupon for Crossword with which I finally bought a book y'day. I was quite appalled at the state of the bookshop at Garuda mall. The books are all over the place - no arrangement and mixing of fiction/non-fiction, and the catalogue didn't list at least 2 books I picked off the racks, etc...
Also found out that my Crossword membership seems to have expired (with no intimation from the chain of stores) which made me ineligible for the 20% discount :(
The book is Empire by Niall Ferguson, a title I had been planning to read for a while now, but not necessarily planned to buy.

I could barely find books which were priced below Rs. 300, which is quite a pity really, especially given that bookshops aren't necessarily thriving. After all, this store moved out of the expansive location on Residency Road (now occupied by Sapna).

Hope to read it soon, although I still haven't gotten around to reading Ferguson's other title, bought a while ago.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger J Ramanand said...

There's a general decline in bookstores everywhere. Even in the bigger, presumably better-bankrolled ones. Not so much in the stock, but in the attention paid to it.

7/17/2012 7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home